Monday, September 5, 2011

Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes

Who remembers eating Orange Creamsicles growing up? The wonderful ice cream center with the orange popsicle outside was a summertime treat growing up that my husband & I both enjoyed. My husband had been suggesting this flavor for awhile before I finally made them. The cupcakes didn't rise as much as I would have liked, but I LOVED the frosting combination - the vanilla portion is the frosting I've been using since I started making cakes about 12 years ago. When I initially made cakes, everyone LOVED my frosting & wanted the recipe. I NEVER shared. Now that I've found lots of recipes I enjoy, I'm more than happy to share it. (I know, it uses Crisco, but in moderation, a little won't hurt us!)



ORANGE CREAMSICLE CUPCAKES

Orange Cupcakes (Adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride)
1 1/8 cup (9 oz) frozen Orange Juice Concentrate, thawed
White cake mix
3 egg whites

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Non-stick spray

Food Color (orange, or red+yellow)

In a stand mixer, add the cake mix, egg whites, vegetable oil, dye and the OJ concentrate. Mix on low for about 30 seconds and then increase to medium speed for 90 seconds (the batter will still be a bit lumpy; take care not to overmix so you don’t end up with dry cupcakes).

Spray each cupcake liner with the non-stick spray and spoon the batter into a prepared muffin pan (fill the cups between 2/3 and 3/4 full).

Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and cool 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes and cool completely on a baking rack.

Orange Frosting (Adapted from Dulcedo)
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
5-6 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
1/4 cup orange juice

Beat the butter at medium-high speed until creamy. Add half of the powdered sugar, the vanilla, the orange extract, and the orange juice. Beat until combined. Gradually add the remaining sugar until the frosting reaches your desired consistency.

Vanilla Frosting
3/4 cup shortening
4-6 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons vanilla creamer

Beat shortening, extract & creamer. Gradually add powdered sugar until the frosting reaches your desired consistency, trying to get the consistency similar to that of the orange frosting.

To get the swirled frosting, place the vanilla frosting carefully in one side of your pastry bag, and the orange on the other. Frost as desired.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment