Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Lattes

One of my many favorite things about fall are Pumpkin Spice Lattes. I rarely visit Starbucks (aside from the occasional treat after a bad call, or going into a long shift), but in the fall, I have a hard time staying out. And of course, the Pumpkin Spice Latte is even more expensive than their regular flavored lattes - I think I spent almost $5 on a medium when it was released earlier this fall - OUCH!

I've tried various DIY versions over the past few years, and I've always been disappointed. They've always been gritty from the spices, or the pureed pumpkin, added directly to the latte, adds a funky taste or texture. This year, I found the recipe for a pumpkin spice syrup on Tastespotting, and I knew it would make the difference!

I had some difficulty finding pureed pumpkin - I ended up getting the last can of organic pumpkin at a local coop. Even though it was about twice the price of a can of Libby's, all of the ingredients for a batch of this syrup still cost less than the price of one latte. (And, I have enough pumpkin for a few more batches.)

I'm not going to give the directions on making a latte - everyone has different machines & preferences for espresso to milk ratio. I will be giving the recipe for the syrup - use as you would use any other flavor syrup.



PUMPKIN SPICE SYRUP (Adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride)
Makes approx 2 cups of syrup

1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)

Cook sugar and water in a small pot over medium heat until the mixture is completely clear.

Whisk in the remaining ingredients and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Do not allow mixture to come to a boil.

Allow mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes. Strain syrup through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer into a large jar or bottle of your choice. (Straining will be slow due to the pumpkin)

Keep syrup in the fridge.

Use 1-2 tablespoons in your favorite latte recipe.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Delicious - Love this and looking forward to my next cup - thanks!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete