Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Raspberry Cream Cheese Cupcakes

Sadly, I've been slacking on blogging this month. There isn't any good reason for it, I think it's a combination of coming off service from a busy month (and trying to finally catch up on sleep), stressing over fellowship applications & interviews (or maybe I should consider Chief year instead??) and finally starting to look at my research and quality improvement projects. I really don't have an excuse, considering I have about 5 blog posts *almost* ready to go!

As a way to apologize, I thought I would post these delicious cupcakes! I made them for a dinner with friends, but sadly, my husband forgot to grab them on his way out the door. (Sad for our friends... but good for us!!) I was going for a raspberry cheesecake cupcake, without it being actual cheesecake. These are moist cupcakes, and with the combination of the cream cheese icing, it definitely makes you think of cheesecake. These kept fairly well in a tupperware for a week, so don't be afraid to make them a few days prior to serving them.



RASPBERRY CREAM CHEESE CUPCAKES

Raspberry Swirl Cupcakes (Adapted from Martha Stewart)
Makes 12 cupcakes

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 small box vanilla pudding
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 stick butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
Raspberry preserves/jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the cups of a standard muffin tin with paper or foil liners. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pudding; set aside. In a liquid-measuring cup, mix milk and vanilla; set aside.

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With mixer on low speed, add half of dry ingredients, followed by milk-vanilla mixture, then remaining dry ingredients. Do not overmix.

Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Add approximately 1/2 - 1 tsp of raspberry preserves & swirl into batter with a toothpick.

Place tin on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool cupcakes 5 minutes in tin, then remove and cool completely on a rack before frosting.



Cream Cheese Frosting

1 - 8oz package cream cheese (I used the full fat version to remind me of cheesecake)
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar.

Beat cream cheese, butter & vanilla until smooth & well blended. Slowly beat in powdered sugar. (Adjust amount until you reach desired consistency).

Frost cupcakes as desired. Garnish with fresh raspberries.

ENJOY!

(This post has been posted as a participant in Sweets for Saturday)

7 comments:

  1. Oh yum, I adore cheesecake flavors and this sounds like a delicious way to have that without the heaviness of actual cheesecake. I also love how pretty your cupcake looks. I have a linky party on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything cheesecake is great in my opinion!!! Must try these soon!

    Visiting from Sweets for Saturday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks utterly delicious! I'm trying to find a base to use the rest of my cream cheese frosting with... and this is certainly a novel idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this recipe by using google and made these cupcakes to have for Easter dessert tomorrow. I followed the recipe exactly except I used strawberry preserves instead of raspberry. I must say that this recipe was DELICIOUS!!! I will definitely be making them again. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed this recipe! I'm sure they are great with strawberry, too. I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made these, thought I had raspberry preserve--- I was wrong, so I used Blueberry jam instead, they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cupcakes look really good and delicious. I miss baking. I'm planning to bake gluten free desserts like this cupcakes or any cakes perhaps. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete