Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Carrot Cupcakes

I think part of the reason I always avoided carrot cakes was the dreaded shredding 3+ cups of carrots. However, with my food processor that I got for Christmas, this was one of the easiest steps!

I wanted to try out a carrot cake recipe as my sister is requesting I make some as part of the 12+ dozen I'll be making in 4 weeks for my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary. Because I've obviously avoided them in the past, I had to search for a recipe to use. I am SO glad I found this recipe - this is by far the lightest carrot cake I have ever tasted. And, although my hubby was initially hesitant for the frosting, the spices complement the carrot cake wonderfully, but it still has a nice cream cheese flavor. I would strongly recommend it over a plain cream cheese frosting.



CARROT CUPCAKES (Adapted from Two Spoons)
Makes 20-22 cupcakes

3 large eggs
1c dark brown sugar
3/4c canola oil
2c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
Approx 1 tsp freshly grated ginger root
3 1/2c grated carrots, packed
3/4c or so of chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 340F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.

Beats eggs & sugar until thick and foamy, about 2 mins. Beat in oil gradually, beating after all oil is added for another minute. Sift in dry ingredients and mix until mixture is uniform. Mix in ginger root. Fold in carrots and walnuts. Spoon into cupcake liners.

Bake in the center of your oven until cake springs back when touched in the center. This will take about 15-17 minutes for standard sized cupcakes.

SPICED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING (Adapted From Patisserie Natalie)
Frosts 24-30 cupcakes

8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, room temperature
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Combine cream cheese and butter in a mixer until smooth. Add powdered sugar gradually, alternating with vanilla extract. Add spices. Frost cupcakes as desired.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. This really looks nice and yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will surely try this out.

    Take the Cake Personality Test and find out which cake are you like. I have taken the test and have enjoyed a lot. Hope you too will enjoy it. Have Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My roommate would die for this spiced cream cheese frosting! She is a serious nutmeg addict. I'm definitely going to have to make these for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made these for my mom's birthday! Very tasty, but I found I needed to add about a half a cup more sugar for the cake to be sweet enough.

    ReplyDelete