Monday, June 7, 2010

Orange Cottage Cheese Salad

With the start of grilling season & the outdoor meals that come with the warm weather, I knew I had to make this "salad." This has been one of my favorite "salads" for as long as I can remember. My mom got the recipe from a friend years ago, and this has been a staple recipe ever since. It's very easy to whip up, and compliments grilled burgers & hot dogs wonderfully. It's a nice, light dish to serve when it's hot outside.



ORANGE COTTAGE CHEESE SALAD

24oz container cottage cheese
12oz container frozen whipped topping (thawed)
small box of apricot (or orange) jello
1 small can mandarin oranges (drained)
5 oz (1/2 bag) of miniature marshmallows

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl & refrigerate. It may be slightly runny initially, but will set up in the fridge. Serve cold.

NOTE:
I use both fat free cottage cheese & whipped topping. I also use sugar free jello. Personally, I like more fruit in the salad, so I add a total of 3-4 small cans of mandarin oranges. I also added more marshmallows so that I could finish off what I had left in the bag.

This recipe could easily be converted to different flavors - raspberry or strawberry would also be wonderful!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment