Monday, June 21, 2010

Oreo Cupcakes

Wow - The past few weeks have flown by! The new pediatric interns started their orientation last week, and we've had lots of great activities to participate in to get to know them. I had the opportunity to host them all for a casual potluck BBQ. Sadly, I didn't have time to make any cupcakes for them (or anything worth blogging about - my wonderful hubby manned the grill all night & grilled a mean burger). However, the exciting thing is that tomorrow is my last day as an intern!

I made these cupcakes to bring to work on my birthday. I was scheduled to be on call overnight, and I figured that if I had to spend my birthday in the hospital, I would at least be sure I had something good to eat to celebrate the day.

These were very easy to whip up, and everyone loved them! The word spread quickly - and even my patient's parents were hinting that they'd like one (and I was more than happy to share!)



Oreo Cupcakes (Adapted from Bean Town Baker)
Makes 12-14 cupcakes

4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
2 extra-large eggs whites
Oreo Cookies

Preheat over to 350F. Insert liners into cupcake pan.

Carefully twist apart 12 Oreos, trying to keep all of the cream filling on one side. Place the wafer with filling on it, filling side up, in the bottom of each liner. Crush the other wafer halves (for garnishing on top of frosting - can also throw a little into the batter if you desire).

Cut an additional 12ish Oreo cookies into quarters with a sharp knife. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the butter & sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs & vanilla.

In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Add 1/2 of the dry mixture to the butter & sugar. When well mixed, add the milk. After the milk is mixed in, add the remainder of the dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Fold in the quartered Oreos.

Fill the cupcake lines three-quarters full (more than you normally would - because of the volume of the Oreos, they don't rise as much as normal cupcakes would). Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.



Frosting
4 oz cream cheese at room temp
3-4 tablespoons butter at room temp
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2++ cups powdered sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add vanilla extract. Slowly add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.

Frost & top as desired.

ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. These cupcakes look fantastic! You have great piping skills. Congrats to all you interns!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked these. They're def a fav in our house.

    ReplyDelete