Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tangy Lime Bars

These were a fantastic summer dessert, and a nice twist from the usual lemon bar. I was happy to find a lime version of the classic lemon bar due to the large amount of limes I've had in my kitchen this summer. However, they didn't help me use up my lime stash very quickly, as I only used 2 of my limes. (Maybe I should have made a couple batches!) My husband, who loves lemon bars, devoured these, and they may be the first dessert I've ever made in which he ate more of them than me.



TANGY LIME BARS (Adapted from Whats For Lunch Honey?)
Makes 16 bars (an 8x8inch pan)

Crust

1/2 cup unsalted butter - melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the bottom and up the sides of an 8-inch baking pan with foil.

Combine the melted butter with the sugar, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl. Add the flour and mix just until incorporated. Using your fingers, press the dough evenly over the bottom of the pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, our until the crust is fully baked - slightly browned at the edges.


Topping

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated lime zest
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
Greed food coloring - optional
Powder sugar for dusting - optional

Stir together the sugar and flour in a large bowl, until well mixed. Whisk in the eggs, then stir in the lime zest, lime juice & a drop of green food coloring.

When the crust is ready, turn the oven down to 300F. Slide the rack with the pan out and pour the filling onto the hot crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes longer. The topping should not jiggle in the center when the pan is tapped. Place on a rack and cool completely in the pan.

Cut into bars and if desired, sift powdered sugar over them just before serving.

Storing: the bars can be stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for several days (Although I doubt they'll last that long!)



ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment