Sunday, January 10, 2010

Baked Crab Rangoons

I LOVE crab rangoons. Ever since I had my first taste of Chinese food, I would gladly make a meal out of crab rangoons at a Chinese restaurant. I've always wanted to try making them, but don't have a deep fryer, and know I wouldn't use one frequently enough to justify the purchase. I ran into this healthier version, and made them for our holiday party last month. They were a hit & so easy to make!



BAKED CRAB RANGOONS (Adapted from Kraft Foods)

1 can (6oz) crabmeat, drained & flaked
4 oz Neufchatel cheese (low fat cream cheese), softened
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup light mayo
Wonton wrappers

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix first four ingredients.

Lightly spray mini muffin tin. Place wonton wrappers into the tins, carefully shaping into a cup shape. Lightly spritz each wrapper with spray, and bake for approximately 6 minutes.

Take cups out of the oven & place a spoonful of the crab mixture into each cup. Cook for an additional 6-10 minutes, until edges are golden brown & filling is warm.

Enjoy!

NOTES:
I used the cheapest crabmeat I could, which I believe was a pink crabmeat. It was already flaked/shredded, so all I had to do was drain the liquid from the meat.

Wonton wrappers are in the produce area - they make both round & square ones. I used the round as there were more in the package for the same price. If you double the above recipe, you should use just about all of the wonton wrappers. (About 60 crab rangoons).

I added just a bit of garlic powder for an additional bit of flavor, but it was barely noticable.

We didn't make all of the rangoons the night of our party - the filling will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the "healthy" version recipe of this...can not wait to try it...

    ReplyDelete