Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Lemon Icing

Just my luck, just when I start a blog, my computer shows me the blue screen of death - repeatedly. Thankfully, my wonderful husband took care of the issue today & I can finally post my first recipe of the year!

I have an adorable mini bundt cake pan that I love to use, and I wanted to make something to share with the nurses in the NICU. I found a recipe for a delicious pound cake recipe online, and with a few tweaks in the ingredients, I was able to make it without going to the grocery store. The cakes were gone in a flash - so moist & tender, with a very fine crumb. The cake itself is very sweet, so the icing is quite sour to offset the sweetness.




CAKE: (Based upon a recipe from William's Sonoma)
3 cups cake flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt0
20 Tbs. (2 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar
6 eggs
1 Tbs. vanilla extract


Preheat to 325°F. Grease and flour a 10-cup Bundt® pan (or 2 loaf pans); tap out excess flour. (I just used cooking spray & had some difficulty removing the cakes, I wouldn't recommend skipping this step!)

Mix flour, salt & baking soda in a bowl, set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until creamy and smooth. Gradually add the granulated sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Make sure to scrape down the sides occasionally. Increase the speed to medium-high and add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.

Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions. Beat each addition until just incorporated, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading the batter so the sides are higher than the center. Bake until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the cake cool upright in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan carefully to finish cooling.

ICING:
1/4 cup lime juice
2-2.5 cups powdered sugar
Dash vanilla extract.

Mix all ingredients together. Adjust powdered sugar until desired consistency. Spread over cooled cake.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment